Sunday, January 22, 2012

Yummy to my Tummy

    Guess who's eating now?  That's right, my wonderful amazing son.  We learned shortly after arriving to the hospital that Riley was going to soon receive my milk through a tube.  I was sitting in a chair in the waiting room visiting some family when Craig told me the great news, I about jumped out of my chair I was so excited.  Luckily, I thought better of it or I would have been in some major pain.  It is so comforting to know that even though I can't feed him myself, I can still supply my son with "Mamas Gold" as Elizabeth calls it.  We learned later in the day that he is starting to digest the milk because the nurse did not see much when she pulled out the residuals.  We're waiting for our first poopy diaper...anybody want to see a picture of that?  It is a miracle after all. ;) 
     Our visitors this morning were Grandma and Grandpa Branham and Aunt Danette and Uncle Donald.  At one point in our visit, we were discussing the events and how Craig and I were able to handle it so well.  One of the reasons I am handling it so well is because of my Dad.  He always taught us that it's not what happens to you, it's how you respond.  This has helped me a lot throughout my life.  He always reiterated to us (my two brothers and me) that you can only control so much in your life.  Control what you can and give the rest to God.
13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it. (1 Cor 10:13, NKJV)
*The Greek for temptation and tempted can also mean tested.  Trust in the Lord always, know that he is   with you and you can overcome whatever it is you're facing.
    My Grandma and I were lucky enough to be with Riley when he opened his right eye.  He is now looking at us with beautiful blue eyes.  He loves to look at Daddy the most, when Craig walks away Riley starts looking around for him.  It's really fun to watch.  I know everyone says when they have a child they never thought they could love anyone that much, well I'm experiencing that now.  Looking into his eyes gives me an overwhelming feeling of joy, peace, and comfort.  I just smile the whole time.  As I gazed into his eyes, I was thinking how giddy in love I am with my son.  I know Craig feels the same way. 
    At one point today, Riley had two tubes in his mouth and a pacifier.  He had a lot goin on in there.  The pacifier didn't stay in very long so he now has just the two tubes.  He is on a continuous feed, so the second tube will need to stay.  Some time during the day, Riley looked at me and Craig and I knew he was thinking, "Help me, mommy, get these things out of my mouth!"  His little chin was moving up and down like he was trying to cry.  This is heartwrenching.  I told him that he had to rest and get better and that he was okay.  It's more difficult to leave his bedside now that he can look at you.  He seems to know when we are leaving and there's a longing look in his eyes that's begging us to take him.  Not to mention the fact that once you let go of his hand, he's reaching out for yours.  It's pretty painful, I must admit.  I never thought I'd be in a situation where I couldn't hold my child when I wanted or have him home with me.  It's okay though, God has a plan and we are just gonna watch him reveal it to us. 
   You may or may not have read the comments left by a couple people on yesterday's post.  I wanted to share Natalie's comment here, I think it is worth repeating. 
From Natalie, "I love this song (Our God by Chris Tomlin), and am inspired everytime I hear it, but today at church when we sang it it made me think of Riley and brought tears to my eyes, especially this part of the lyrics."

And if Our God is for us, then who could ever stop us
And if our God is with us, then what can stand against?
And if Our God is for us, then who could ever stop us
... And if our God is with us, then what can stand against?
What can stand against?

Our God is greater, our God is stronger
God You are higher than any other
Our God is Healer, awesome and power
Our God, Our God...
Our God is greater, our God is stronger
God You are higher than any other
Our God is Healer, awesome and power
Our God, Our God... 

Such true words, Our God is Healer.
 

2 comments:

  1. Everything happens as its supposed to. Cant wait to see Reej. I forgot my artificial tears today but after reading this entry, I no longer need them! Thanks Kelley. Have you found a publisher yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The news just gets better every day. I most definitely believe our God is Healer. I recently did a study on the names of God and one of them is Jehovah-Rapha- the LORD Who Heals You. Rapha is a Hebrew word that means to cure,mend,repair,restore. The idea is making whole.It doesn't apply to physical healing only.I'm thanking Jehovah-Rapha for His work in Riley and also for quieting your souls and refreshing your spirits.

    ReplyDelete