Friday, February 3, 2012

Confirmed Causes

     We now have confirmation as to what caused Riley and I to get so sick.  Apparently, I contracted parvovirus (separate from the parvo dogs can get) and then passed it along to my son.  The virus then caused the hydrops to develop. This only answers the question of why the hydrops occured it does not change the treatment plan. The doctors still have to treat him one day at a time.
     I have never heard of parvo (also called fifths disease) in humans before and had no idea to look for symptoms.  The symptoms are that of a common cold, which I had a couple weeks prior to Riley's birth.  Furthermore, one website claims that less than 5% of pregnant women who contract parvo and pass it along to their baby will result in the baby developing hydrops.  No one told me during my pregnancy to look out for parvo, probably because it is so rare for this to happen.  I think that pregnant women should at least be told of this disease and the complications it may cause.  I am really trying not to do the coulda, woulda, shouldas now that I know all this.  Again, God has a plan and this all happened for a reason. 
     We also found out that Riley has a bacterial infection which caused the crash last Saturday and the doctors have prescribed antibiotics accordingly.  He will be given these for 10 days to treat the infection.  We pray that the antibiotics work well and that he will overcome this infection too. 
      Riley also needs prayers for his urine output, it slacked off again yesterday (Feb. 2) and he really needs to start giving good diapers again.  The nurse said early this morning that he is improving but it is still low. 
      Good news is they took the chest tube out yesterday.  We pray that the pneumo does not return and will not need a chest tube again! 
     Riley is such a strong little boy and we are so proud of him for fighting for his life.  I love him so much. I look forward to the day when I can hold my little boy and feel his warm body against mine.  He's so precious and special.
     We know God is listening so please continue to pray for increase in blood pressure, urine and healing of the infection specifically.

2 comments:

  1. Thank You Father for Riley's Perfect Holy Spirit and Soul that Will manifest in form and experience in Riley's Body. Thank You Father.
    Thank You Father for increase in blood pressure to perfect holy levels.
    Thank You Father for normal urine and bowel movements.
    Thank You Father for no infection in Riley's Spirit Soul and Body.

    Thank You Father that you are being and doing exceedingly abundantly above all we can ask or think according to Your Mighty Power that is at Work in Every One of Us. In Spirit and in Truth.

    Thank You Father

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you every day Monteith Family.

    "For I know the plans I have for you declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

    ReplyDelete